Now that a bipartisan approach to fixed-term elections is on the cards, here are some suggestions for those thinking about it:
- A scheduled election every February 29.
- Election day as a public holiday; we could call it the Democracy Day Holiday.
- Delete one of the anachronistic public holidays to make way for election day.
- If the scheduled-elected government falls before the next scheduled election, hold an interim election but the interim-elected government only serves until the next scheduled election.
- Since we would be changing the constitution anyway, go the whole hog and make all elections double dissolution elections and have all members and senators start and finish their term of office at the same time.
– John F.Simmons, CLA member, Kambah ACT