A former Chief Justice dropped a ‘bombshell’ when his year-long inquiry in WA found criminal assets-seizing laws were “largely unconcerned whether confiscation is fair or just’. CLA has campaigned against the laws for about 15 years. Similar laws elsewhere should also end, as should a cosy new scheme where governments divide up their jointly ill-gotten proceeds stemming from bad law. In 2020, new campaigns will try to to end senseless, arbitrary censorship inside prisons and make ‘law and order’ elections less popular, while the main law reform body will focus on financial services, defamation, press freedom and whistleblowers.
- Gs’ work program includes tackling betting in sport
- Reforms planned for enduring power of attorney
- Committee wants to give Minister Dutton more power
- ‘Christian conservatives have never had it so good’: Patten
- ‘Tax is a symptom of mental health prejudice’: member letter
- Who ‘owns’ the law? DNA can be two-faced