No draft law has produced such an outpouring of adverse comment from members as the Citizenship Bill: read CLA’s first response…and how you can put your views forward.
No draft law has produced such an outpouring of adverse comment from members as the Citizenship Bill: read our first response…and how you can put your views forward.
We pointed out last month the urgent need to define what citizenship means in Australia in terms of rights and responsibilities for citizens and the government. Now, without definition, the government is planning major changes in rushed law that almost certainly will face constitutional challenge in the High Court. Citizenship is the cornerstone of any nation: too much haste with this proposed legislation change may have adverse affects on Australian democracy for decades to come.
Also in this issue…
- Government actively tries to damage reputation of Witness K and lawyer
- Australians overwhelmingly reject Chinese free trade agreement, unions claim
- Are you one of 917 Australians whose phone use was tapped today?
- Aussie spooks’ international spying roles to be revealed
- Don’t say young Pete (Dutton) didn’t warn you
- Gag is in for Nauru-Manus workers
- Defence controls research by the numbers
- Numbers of alleged abusers in Defence rises
- ODD SPOT: Will Cabinet go for an ‘orange roughy’ solution?
- FBI runs 40-year scam: nine wrongly executed
- UK spooks spy on rights and liberties NGOs
- ODD SPOT: Joystick drone jockeys suffer stress!