Standards in public life continue to shrink as politicians’ words and actions fly in the face of reality. ‘Urgent’ for a Minister is when you’re doing something for him, not when he is expected to act; a new petitions process will deliver more gloss and grandstanding for pollies, and no better outcome for the people; new trade deals being negotiated in secret are sure to disadvantage most citizens; and MPs from each major side reach to new heights of hypocrisy as they claim to support “freely and fairly” reporting on national security.
- Leaky blackshirts get their ASIO mates offside
- Tim Anderson: ‘spooked’ for years, now sacked
- How PM Abbott’s jobs-for-the-boys worked out
- Will whistleblowers get a financial reward?
- Third jurisdiction to get a bill of rights this year
- Fourth jurisdiction may bring in ‘Right to Appeal’ law
- New inquiry could change prisons nationwide
- 9-0 US decision may influence forfeiture laws here
- How big is ’The Community’ of spooks in Oz?