NOTE: The Board this year will be asking Members to approve a Notice of Motion involving updating the Constitution.
Notices of motion proposed for General Meetings (including an electronic Annual General Meeting) are:
- usually of major significance: that is, they involve a change of Constitution, or of significant operating procedure, or of major policy direction;
- a notice of motion and voting on any motion can only be made by a financial member of Civil Liberties Australia;
- motions are not usually used for minor differences of opinion, for personality-based matters, or for other less significant issues.
Before putting forward a notice of motion for this electronic AGM process, please consider whether something you may want to raise could be handled in a simpler way, for example:
- request for consideration of an issue by the Board of Directors;
- development of a policy paper, or optional policy position (you may like to draft one);
- commissioning of research on a topic, issue or policy;
- writing of an opinion piece for the website (the editor/webmaster welcome contributions at all times of the year, not only around the eAGM).
If it would help you, please consider discussing a proposed notice of motion with the President or the CEO/Secretary before putting it into the online system. Initial contact details are:
Lodging a Notice of Motion
Members wishing to propose a motion can do so by entering their draft motion and a supporting statement on the following form. Proposed draft motions must be received by the Secretary by 5pm 15 February 2020. Proposals will be considered by the CLA Board at its Board meeting 16 February 2020 as to whether they are suitable to be included in the eAGM ’20 as a motion, and if so the precise wording.
Debate on Proposed Motions
Those draft motions that meet the requirements for consideration at the eAGM will be available for on-line debate/comment from 18 February to 3 March 2020.
Formal motions will be advised on-line and voting will occur between 10 March to 23 March 2020. Members with an email address registered with CLA can vote online. Members without email will be advised by post and can lodge a postal vote (postal votes must be received by the Returning Officer by 5pm AEDT 23 March 2020).