Anthony Williamson, a director CLA since 2005, has been named the Young Lawyer of the Year for the ACT for 2010/11. He is pictured receiving his award – for services to the law and the community – from Supreme Court Justice Richard Refshauge (right).
CLA Director Young Lawyer of Year
Mr Anthony Williamson has been honored by the award of Young Lawyer of the Year 2010/11 by the ACT Law Society for extensive contributions to the law and the community in the ACT:
- while a law student at ANU, he worked in the office of a Member of the Legislative Assembly and was instrumental in improvements to numerous laws.
- with the Justice and Community Safety Department of the ACT Government, he was highly influential in ensuring compliance with human rights of ACT laws and departmental/agency actions.
- Anthony has been a member of the ACT Rural Fire Service for 12 years. (see photo below). He is a crew leader and is a trained Remote Area Fire Team (RAFT) firefighter qualified to fight fires at their source. He trains and mentors new ACT RFS recruits. He served on two deployments to the Victorian 2009 Black Saturday fires, and has also gone on deployment to major fires in other states in the past five years. He is a veteran of the 2001 and 2003 major ACT fires.
- he has been a director of CLA for five years, contributing extensively to submissions to the federal and ACT parliaments, and to inquiries of bodies such as the Australian Law Reform Commission and the Independent Commission Against Corruption. As well he has mentored students for CLA under the ANU’s formal internship system, on subjects as diverse as DNA protocols/regulations (see photo below, with Karlie Brown), coronial inquiries, and environmental legislation.
- he has tutored for a year in Criminal Law at the University of Canberra.
- since joining the staff of the Director of Public Prosecutions ACT in 2009, he has acted as instructing solicitor to the DPP himself in a murder trial and as counsel for the Crown in a Supreme Court jury trial.
The ACT Law Society media release is available here »…