July 2019 CLArion: Parliament resumes, but agenda at cross purposes with nation’s need for greater humanity
- SPECIAL REPORT: Media rights, freedoms and political responsibility
- Aged Care RC promotes better advance planning
- Australian UN Reporteur Alston warns of ‘climate apartheid’
- Taxpayers foot huge bills for ever-expanding prisons
- Kevin Andrews can choose to end his own life: Territories can’t even vote on it
- Court rules arms sales to Saudi Arabia illegal
- Manus refugees claimant seeks asylum in UK
- June 2019 CLArion: New Ministers but same old problems face the nation’s liberties and rights
We have a new government, but the same old problems remain: citizenship issues, legal systems gone awry, refugee claimants in limbo, and re-born Ministers with a proven history of putting their interests ahead of those of the people. Stand by ...
- May 2019: Voters lie in wait – what we want of MPs
The politics of a local election and of international extradition involving the UK, Sweden and the USA dominate this month, as the perennial issues of abortion, privacy, integrity and police-investigating police return for analysis.
- April 2019: Six-year CLA battle helps earn Neill-Fraser appeal over her 23-year sentence for murder
A meeting in 2013 with a politician who kept her word began the long process that led to Sue Neill-Fraser getting a second appeal chance at justice in Tasmania. Now for a hearing, preferably with interstate judges. Elsewhere, Australia’s first ...
- March 2019: Dissonance reverberates as MPs’ words don’t match actions
Standards in public life continue to shrink as politicians’ words and actions fly in the face of reality. ‘Urgent’ for a Minister is when you’re doing something for him, not when he is expected to act; a new petitions process ...
- February 2019: Let’s think about positively improving Australia, and ignore negative election campaigning
We’re looking for positive ideas to throw into the mix around the upcoming federal election. A Bill of Rights is one big issue, but what other ideas and suggestions should CLA be putting forward? A national Crimes Act, married to ...
- January 2019: Bright spots provide hope as new year brings fresh battles over aged care and bills of rights
Change is in the air this new year: a new governor-general – will he be the last? A federal election – will new MPs realise Australians want much more listening and far less shouting by their national representatives? Will the ...